Any individual that would like a Possession and Acquisition License, restricted or otherwise, must have classroom participation in the full Canadian Firearms Safety Course (CFSC). Once the course is completed, individuals then will have to pass a test. The content of the course and test is controlled and approved by the Canadian Royal Mounted Police.

What will be covered:

  • Major types of firearms, ​major parts, actions and types
  • Basic firearm safety
  • Different ammunitions
  • Operating firearm actions
  • Safe handling and carrying procedures
  • Firing techniques and procedures
  • Care of Firearms
  • Responsibility of the firearm owner and user
  • Safe Storage 

Type your paragraph here.

Type your paragraph here.

Canadian Firearms Safety Courses

At Canadian Firearms Training, we know your safety is the backbone of your firearms experience, whether it be target shooting or hunting, which is why we offer innovative, safety centered Canadian Firearm Safety Course and Canadian Restricted Firearm Safety Course classes to receive your Restricted and Non-Restricted Possession and Acquisition License. Canadian Firearms Training also provides provincially regulated Conservation and Outdoor Recreation Education (CORE) classes taught by Murray Kilshaw and Robin Pike.

Taught by teachers who have a have worked in local Police Departments and have carried firearms most of their lives. Murray Kilshaw and associates  have a combined experience of 75 years and are passionate about shooting sports. 

About Us

Type your paragraph here.

Send us an email or phone 250-634-0864 before 8pm

Canadian Firearm Safety Course
Conservation and Outdoor Recreation Education 

Class Content

Firearm Safety 


Conservation and Outdoor Recreation Education

Canadian Restricted Firearm Safety Course

In Canada all applicants for a Possession and Acquision License (PAL) must have acceptable knowledge of firearm law and safe-handling procedures. This all day course will cover topics from the basics of firearms to safe storage, display, and transportation of your firearm. 

Possession and Acquisition License

The goal of the CORE Program is to ensure that prospective hunters meet acceptable standards of knowledge and skill for safe and ethical participation in hunting recreation.​ All BC  Residents over 18 years of age who wish to obtain a hunting license are required to complete a CORE program.

A Possession and Acquisition Licence (PAL)  is your authorization to possess and register a firearm and to obtain ammunition, in Canada. Your licence must be kept current for as long as you possess firearms in Canada.

If you are wanting to get a hunting license in British Columbia, this is for you. Upon a successful completion of the Conservation and Outdoor Recreation Education (CORE) course is a provincial requirement to obtain a hunting license or, Fish & Wildlife ID (FWID) number. This number is needed to purchase hunting licenses, tags, or apply for Limited entry Hunting in BC. 

Designed with the amateur outdoor enthusiast in mind, our BC Wildlife Federation (BCWF) approved CORE course covers everything from hunting regulations and animal identification to the safe handling of non-restricted firearms (Rifles). Giving the best groundwork, our hunter discipline program prepares you for the Provincial hunters' exam, which is conducted on Day 2. 

People wishing to obtain a restricted firearms license need additional training. This course provides the training for the safe handling procedures of handguns as well as safe storage and transportation of your handgun. It is recommended to take the Firearms course and the Restricted firearms course in combo. 

If you are interested in acquiring a Canadian firearms license, or if you are simply interested in more information about firearms, then these courses are for you. This is one of the most popular classes and the first step for those who want to participate in shooting, hunting, a job in law enforcement, the forestry industry or the film industry.

The Canadian Firearms Safety program, approved by RCMP, is designed with absolute beginners and covers unrestricted firearms (Rifles) and restricted firearms (Pistols) in the most effective way. In order to save you time and money, we offer you a course on 2 consecutive days,  including tests. 

Completing and passing this course is a federal requirement to apply for your unrestricted and restricted Possession and Acquisition License (PAL). This is not negotiable.

All Canadian Firearms Training courses are RCMP approved. 

With more than 50 years firearms experience  in policing,   and in the  hunting and fishing community you know that you are getting top safety education from the best in town. 

Don't be afraid of firearms. Be cautious and practice safe firearm handling and you will live long and prosper. 


  • Where do I register?
    • In the gun room at Island Outfitters located at 1681A Island Hwy. across from Casino. 
  • How much does it cost?
    • PAL courses are $225  per person for both classes and the CORE class is $150 per person. We recommend that you pick up a manual at Island Outfitters, for $29, and read it before the class.
  • Where is the classroom?
    • In the Boardroom above Barnes Harley Davidson. 2940 Ed Nixon Terrace. Please park OFF LOT!!!
  • Should I bring lunch?
    • If you like, there are Tim Hortons and Subway nearby that you can go to on the lunch break. 
  • How long are the classes?
    • The PAL classes start on Saturday at 9:00 AM and the R/PAL start at 8:00 AM on Sunday. CORE classes start at 8:20 AM and end around 4:30 PM. We recommending picking up a copy of the manuals before the class and perusing the material. 
  • How old do I have to be to get my PAL?
    • You must be 18 years old to obtain a restricted and non-restricted PAL; however, mature 12-year-olds may take the class to obtain a Junior PAL which will convert to a PAL upon turning 18.
  • Can I get my Restricted PAL without my unrestricted PAL? 
    • NO! Individuals wishing to obtain a restricted PAL must have a non-restricted PAL. This is government policy and we will make NO EXCEPTION.
  • What if I already have my unrestricted PAL?
    • Yes, you can get your restricted PAL if you have already completed the course and test for your unrestricted license.
  • How long will it take for my license to come in?
    • A passport photo must be attached and appropriate references attached with completed information. If the submission is done properly they will begin the process within 30 days of receiving documents. We find most students receive their PAL/RPAL within 8-10 weeks of application. If you have queries regarding your application you may call 1-800-731-4000. During Pandemic this time has increased.
  • Is there any live fire (actual shooting) in the course firearms?
    • No, you will be trained with non-firing firearms.
  • How often is the course taught?
    • Twice monthly on weekends. Check out Island Outfitters on 1681A Island Highway for more information and a schedule.